AbelCam Forum
Download AbelCam buy Pro

Welcome Anonymous User
04/20/2024 - 11:09 AM
Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Java support in 2.3.9 is faster then ever ?
By: JoergR
Topics: 34
Added: 01/14/2009 - 06:28 PM

Hello, I would like to give some positive feedback.

From version 2.2.4 on (which was my first one) I always had to use java-script to see my own cam-pictures fluently moving in my Firefox.
Java was much slower and always time-shifted around 10 seconds.

(Atom-Netbook with 1.6Ghz which I use for hosting the pictures.)

Since 2.3.9 this problem is gone, Java works even better and faster than java-script.
Many Thanx

Topics: 73
Added: 01/14/2009 - 06:37 PM

Hello Jörg

MelvinG had a deep look at the applet code and fixed it.
Back in 2005 it worked fine, but one newer Java Versions had problems with the timing resulting in delayed and stuttering image display.

The applet uses the mjpeg image stream which puts less load on the AbelCam web server.
It's not only displaying smoother but also uses less load on both the viewing and the serving computer.

Many thanks again to Melvin!
Added: 01/15/2009 - 04:38 PM

Thats great news, so it was no mess with my machine which might have disappeared with unknown reason...Laugh

This soft is getting better and better. Thank you guys.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/17/2009 - 12:21 PM

Jörg,

Something about Sun's Ver.6 Java breaks the original AbelCamStreaming applet, which as SSE has said was developed under older Java. I am probably the only site on the Cam List page that "forces" my visitors to use the applet to view cams. So I was getting bad comments from my visitors, and I was complaining to SSE. Since I was the biggest complainer Wink I volunteered to try to fix it.

It seems like it works fine now with all Java versions. If you have troubles with it in the future be sure to post here so I know about it and can work on it again.
Added: 01/19/2009 - 12:48 AM

To be honest I do have a little problem but nothing important, just strange:
When I watch my own cam in Firefox using Java there always have been these little red dots in the navigator-window, showing the actual position of PTZ. These dots have disappeared completely without disturbing functionality and whats even more strange: Watching other peoples (who are using 2.3.9) cams these dots are still there, so I think it must be something with my abelcam-installation and nothing with my Firefox/Java Installation.
The issue remains the same when I use a second PC within my network for watching.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/19/2009 - 10:12 AM

Hmmm. I think I have seen that red-dot problem before too, but right now it seems to be working fine. That control is actually part of "AbelCamAbs" applet. I only worked on the "AbelCamStreaming" applet (the actual videowindow). If this problem continues, or if I can catch it happening here, maybe I can work on it.
Added: 01/19/2009 - 03:25 PM

Maybe its caused by my chaotic update from 2.3.7 to 2.3.9

- uninstall was impossible, removing in control-panel failed with error-message.
- repair of abelcam-installation
- uninstalling was completed successfully
- Installing 2.3.9 on C:\Programme\Abelcam
- Trying to use it, failed, Lips SealedHuh?Shocked the old installation had been on D:\Programme\Abelcam ' cause I keep everything away from C:
- uninstalling from C: was completed successfully
- new install on D:\Programme\Abelcam, everything works again except the red dots Frin

Roll Eyes sorry for that messRoll Eyes
Added: 01/21/2009 - 02:24 PM

I just noticed that I have no zoom functionality in 2.3.9 anymore neither with Java, nor with Java script.
In Firefox with Java Script I get a little popup with something like "error 404 on this function".

Now I updated to 2.4.0 and everything works again. Also the red dots have come back again.

By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 01/21/2009 - 11:50 PM

Glad to hear that the latest is the best Wink
Added: 01/23/2009 - 06:54 PM

Definitely my thoughts.
Updates with improvements are very satisfyingSmile!