Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

More same webcams on one PC..?
By: DomenicoS
Topics: 59
Added: 11/04/2008 - 03:18 PM

Just to be 99% sure, is connecting more (2-3) webcams of same model on 1 PC possible?

Problems with drivers? When I install 1 webcam, do I just plug in another in next free USB port or?

I see lot of webcams on one AbelCam, know that I just have to buy licence for every webcam, but I don't know are some of same model listed running on 1 PC or..?
(AbelCam/cameras)

Please some advice is that problemlos or it is suggested to have "different models from same manufacturer" on 1 PC...?

(Plan to have more Sphere...)
Added: 06/19/2009 - 01:02 AM

And, if on PC is video surveillance card (Geovision 650) running with it software, should Abelcam have some problems with it?

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 06/19/2009 - 06:24 AM

From DomenicoS:
And, if on PC is video surveillance card (Geovision 650) running with it software, should Abelcam have some problems with it?

I've never tried it but I see no reason for it to cause problems. On one of my AbelCam systems (not the main server) I run all sorts of apps while AbelCam runs in the background. I haven't had any real problems, even when capturing video from a FireWire DV camcorder into ULead Video Studio at the same time AbelCam is capturing from a Pro-9000 on USB.

Only place you could run into trouble is if you tried to add the Geovision cams into AbelCam at the same time the Geovision software is using them. As you probably know, on Windows only one app at a time can use a camera.
Added: 06/19/2009 - 02:21 PM

"on Windows only one app at a time can use a camera."

Thx, yes, about that I woos afraid!

Will go for it and reply...
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 06/20/2009 - 11:06 AM

I have heard that there are "video splitter" programs you can download that will let you work around the "one cam - one app" restriction. I have never actually tried them but would assume that the "splitter" connects to the camera, and the apps connect to the "splitter". I see a lot of potential problems with this - like, what if one app wants 640x480 at 1 FPS and another app wants 320x240 at 15 FPS? I suppose an intelligent splittter could connect to the cam at maximum resolution and framerate, and then scale and re-stream to each output at the resolution and FPS each app wants. But that would eat up a LOT of CPU.

I'm thinking out loud here... Point is: there are splitters you can download but I would expect them to have many problems.
Added: 06/20/2009 - 01:40 PM

Yes, he he, lot of possibilities in this world, I don't want to have many problems Smile
Added: 07/05/2009 - 10:15 PM

I try it, and AbelCam works without problem with Sphere on system with video surveillance card...