Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

More same webcams on one PC..?
By: DomenicoS
Topics: 59
Added: 11/04/2008 - 03:18 PM

Just to be 99% sure, is connecting more (2-3) webcams of same model on 1 PC possible?

Problems with drivers? When I install 1 webcam, do I just plug in another in next free USB port or?

I see lot of webcams on one AbelCam, know that I just have to buy licence for every webcam, but I don't know are some of same model listed running on 1 PC or..?
(AbelCam/cameras)

Please some advice is that problemlos or it is suggested to have "different models from same manufacturer" on 1 PC...?

(Plan to have more Sphere...)
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 11/04/2008 - 11:37 PM

Right now I have 3 Sphere AF and 1 Sphere MP all connected to the same machine and it works fine. They show up in the Device List as "Orbit/Sphere AF-1", "Orbit/Sphere AF-2", and so on.

You can plug your cams into whatever USB ports you want. Which port you use does not seem to matter.

You might find that your "old" camera becomes "-2" and your "new" camera becomes "-1". I have had this happen when adding identical cams. Not a major problem - just a little surprise.
Added: 11/05/2008 - 02:22 PM

Thx a lot Melvin!
Added: 11/20/2008 - 12:13 AM

Is it possible to watch video stream (live view) from more webcams in same time? (Example: 4 live pictures on screen), and if not, is it software problem or hardware (pc & webcam)?
Added: 11/20/2008 - 01:10 AM

From DomenicoS:
Is it possible to watch video stream (live view) from more webcams in same time? (Example: 4 live pictures on screen), and if not, is it software problem or hardware (pc & webcam)?

This isn't exactly clear if you are asking about watching on the screen of the machine running AbelCam or watching in a Web browser.

On AbelCam machine: you can open up as many preview windows as you want, all at the same time.

In a Web browser: yes you can, by editing the page code (putting several APPLET tags on the page instead of just one). For each APPLET set the tag's attributes to specify a different camera. The only problem I see with doing this is that having 4 streams running at one time eats a lot of upstream bandwidth.
Added: 11/20/2008 - 10:50 PM

That's nice! I ask because my friend with another software can watch only one "live window" at time, other camera view stops.

I plan to have 1 or 2 PC with 2-3 webcams on each. They will be viewed from third PC over wireles router. Probably, the future owner will ask to be able to watch live video from 4 webcams at same time.

Added: 11/21/2008 - 10:21 AM

That sounds like it will work fine. You just need to make a custom webpage for viewing: for 4 cams, use 4 instances of the abelcamstreaming java applet, and set the 'baseref' and 'cam' parameters for each instance to look at the correct PCs and cams.

I had something like this on my site for a while. It was just an HTML table with an abelcamstreaming applet in each table cell. 4 camera streams, presented in a 2x2 matrix - it looked a lot like the display of a professional security camera system.

It worked great on the LAN, no problems at all. It did not work very well on the public Internet, but the problem was that 4 streams at once was too much for my cable connection bandwidth (at that time it was limited to 512Kb upstream).

EDIT to Add: Check this thread again a little later. I will put my 4 cam display back on line for you to play with, once I edit it to work with my current setup. I will post a link then.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 11/21/2008 - 11:55 AM

Hello Melvin

to reduce bandwidth requirements, you can override the framerate the cam delivers with a lower one.

See Webcam Documentation page, at the bottom
Added: 11/21/2008 - 12:19 PM

SSE - yes, that is what I did before. I eventually lowered the framerates to 0.5 FPS and it worked okay with 4 cams on my 512Kb pipe. But it wasn't much fun when it was so slow ;-) so I took it down.

Domeniko - I have put my 4-cam page back online. Since the last time I tried it, I have increased my cable bandwith to 2Mb. The cams are now set for 4 FPS, which should work okay on the 2Mb connection. I have no idea how well it will work going half way around the world to you.

Click on the video to pan/tilt. Use the "red-dot" sliders to zoom.

The page is super-simple, not very pretty. But it is only supposed to be an example for you to play with or copy. I used nothing but AbelCam and plain HTML. You could always make it nicer with some CSS formatting.

Please post or PM me when you are done looking at it. I don't want to leave this page public forever.

EDIT 5/11/2011 - Removed link - I took this demo page down years ago but I still see in my server logs people trying to access it. Sorry folks - it is gone.
Added: 11/21/2008 - 10:48 PM

It works perfect! You can take it dawn from server, but save that 4cam.html , maybe it can have it to make may job easier..?

Added: 11/22/2008 - 02:15 PM

Domeniko (and anyone else who wants it) you can get the sourcecode for the 4-Cam page here:

http://eeberfest.net/AbelCam/4cam.zip

EDIT 5/11/2011 to make link point to new location of file.