Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Video lag / delay
By: RajG
Topics: 0
Added: 09/23/2008 - 08:38 PM

AbelCam's video preview on the host computer has a lag of about 1-2 seconds. I have a pretty nice laptop, Thinkpad T61P max'ed out - dual core (T9300 @ 2.5GHz), Vista x64 Ultimate, etc. and the lag doesn't exist when I use AMCap for previewing, nor does it show up on Skype video conferencing. My camera is a Prolynkz PWC-010. However, video capture does utilize one of the cores 100% even when the WMV server is off. The CPU usage drops to normal levels <15% when "No Device active" appears after stopping video capture.

I am running version 2.2.5.

Ideas?
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 09/24/2008 - 08:43 AM

I would think that the 1-2 second lag is nothing more than a symptom of one core being "maxed" at 100%. Solve the excessive CPU usage and you will probably eliminate the lag.

You did not mention what frame rate and resolution you are using. If you are trying to run at a 30 FPS framerate at 640x480 resolution, 100% CPU is not surprising. However, at a more sane setup of, say, 5 FPS at 320X240, 100% CPU is definitely not right. (on my system I have 7 cams all running 320X240 at 4FPS and the total CPU load is ~25%)

I am not at all familiar with your PWC-010 camera or its drivers. In general, I have found that different cams/drivers can deliver wildly differing performance with AbelCam - even when they perform similarly with AmCap or Skype. Some drivers co-operate better than others with AbelCam's capture interface.

One possible solution would be for you to try AbelCam 2.3 (beta) which is available on the Issue Tracker. It has 3 different capture interfaces to choose from. Each has a different level of features and efficiency. The one problem I see with this is that 2.3 does not (yet) run on 64-bit Windows.
Added: 09/26/2008 - 06:45 PM

Good points. I use 640 x 480 on both AMCap and AbelCam. As I mentioned AMCap shows no delay at all, I think the default frame rate is 10 fps. AMCap never shows more than 17% CPU in the task manager, and ranges between 3% - 17% with an average around ~8%.

Changing the fps on AbelCam config did not seem to affect the CPU and preview speed at all. Tried rates from 2 fps to 10 fps. Picture was nearly identical.

Thanks for your help in diagnosing. Here is a link to the PWC-010:

http://www.prolynkz.com/products/webcams/pwc010.php

I shall try the 2.3 beta and get back to you on the results.
Added: 09/26/2008 - 07:33 PM

Installed AbelCam236-2008-09-24 (only, not ACNCA064-2008-09-24), and the preview is almost instant. There is now only about a 0.1-0.2 second lag between preview and processed images. Unfortunately, the CPU on one core is still max'ed out.

Still running at 640 x 480 at 10fps...

Installation of the latest 2.3.5 failed because it recognized the OS was not 32-bit. BTW, do I need ACNCA064-2008-09-24? The 2.3.6 build is also much smaller than the msi build of 2.3.5 and I don't seem to have any issues.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 09/28/2008 - 12:05 PM

ACNCA064-2008-09-24 isn't required, but you might find it useful. It is the "Network Camera Agent", which was part of the AbelCam MSI installer on earlier versions. As of 2.3.6 beta it was given its own EXE installer, which is also the reason the AbelCam installer got smaller.

I am not 100% sure that 2.3.x are completely 64-bit ready; 2.2.x are, but they do not offer the option to select different capture engines. Hopefully SSE can clarify this. From your post is does sound like you got 2.3.6 to run on your 64-bit O/S though... true?

Assuming you have 2.3.6 running now, try this:

- On the Cameras screen, Stop and Remove your camera.

- Now Add your camera back in, BUT when you see the little pop-up list of camera devices DON'T just hit OK. Instead, change the Interface selection to either VisioForge or TyCapture first.

- Once the camera has been added, go into Configure and check/set your Resolution and FrameRate as desired (changing the Capture Device will default some settings).

- Save your config and then start the camera as normal. Check CPU level. If it's still too high, repeat this procedure using a different Capture Interface.

The Capture Interfaces have various differences internally that will give different levels of features vs. efficiency with different cameras. The thing I forgot to tell you before is that you have to remove and add the camera in order to actually see the Interface selections.

I followed your link to the cam information and looked around the site. I didn't find anything there that helped, unfortunately. Hopefully the "trial and error" method above will result in your finding one capture interface that works nicely with the cam.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 09/29/2008 - 05:32 PM

Hello Melvin and Raj

both 2.2.5 and 2.3.6 run on 64 bit OSs

The installer of 2.3.6 is not only smaller because it does not contain the AbelCam Network Camera Agent (aka ACNCA), but also it uses a much better compression algorithm.