Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Built-n Webcam Not Detected
By: JeffreyH
Topics: 0
Added: 09/14/2008 - 01:49 PM

Hi,

Please forgive my lack of knowledge concerning computers, and this post's somewhat lack of relevancy to Abelcam.

I'm terribly sorry if the answers to the questions posted in this post are found somewhere in "help", but i could not find them.

I've got a builtin webcam that isn't available as an option when i try to add it, in Abelcam.

I've got a suspicion that this may be because the official drivers installation cd's i got with the computer don't seem to work (as the programs included in these packages allow one to take stills, using the camera, however they don't register the camera either)

The reason i chose Abelcam, wsa becasue, i thought i could use Abelcam to get around this (the problem of inefficient "official" drivers), so i could use the webcam for other programs (is this use viable for Abelcam?).

The following specs are the only details i know concerning the webcam:
- the official drivers were supplied by Camtel Technology Crop.
- it's of a CCD-TAS PC module type.

Any suggestions, help or constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time ~ Jeff
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 09/14/2008 - 05:12 PM

AbelCam is not a replacement for drivers; if the drivers are not working then AbelCam can not work either. Before trying to use AbelCam you must at a minimum be able to see the camera in Device Manager. You should also be able to view its images in Windows Explorer (assuming you are on XP or Vista).

If the above conditions are not met then the camera + drivers aren't installed completely and/or they're doing something completely non-standard (eg. not WDM compliant, not DirectShow compatible).

If you can get the drivers sorted out so that the cam shows up in Windows Explorer then I see no reason why you couldn't use it with AbelCam.

Just for clarity: I do mean Windows Explorer, NOT Internet Explorer.