Latest Topics

Logitech Sphere AF ?
By: PatricP
Topics: 8
Added: 06/16/2008 - 08:26 PM

Hi,
I heard that there is no tool for the new Version of the

Logitech Sphere AF

Does AbelCam support the Pan/Tilt for that new Version on Windows Home Server ?

Many thanks
Greatings
Patric
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 06/17/2008 - 12:06 AM

New version? How new? FWIW, I just bought an AF last week, from a retail store, and it is identical to the AF I bought about 6 months ago. It is VID_046d PID_0994, same as my first one. It works just fine with AbelCam on XP Pro, and it should work fine on any platform that AbelCam runs on.

If you've seen a Sphere AF that isn't VID_046d PID_0994 I would like to hear more about it!

Edited to add:

Easier than determining the VID & PID... every AF I have seen has the following printed on the tag at the end of the cable (on the white stripe below the CE and FCC marks).

M/N: V-UCC22
P/N: 860-000063
PID: LZ817BA

The M/N and PID lines will differ from country to country, but the P/N lone (at least the 860-) shouldn't vary. Can you tell me the P/N from the tag on this "new" AF?
By: PatricP
Topics: 8
Added: 06/17/2008 - 09:14 PM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

From MelvinG:
New version? How new? FWIW, I just bought an AF last week, from a retail store, and it is identical to the AF I bought about 6 months ago. It is VID_046d PID_0994, same as my first one. It works just fine with AbelCam on XP Pro, and it should work fine on any platform that AbelCam runs on.

Thanks a lot !

I read this a few times in the Net, dont know where it was.

there should be a
Logitech Sphere
and
Logitech Sphere AF where no tool should work, but if its working forget my Post - than it´s fine !

Greetings
Patric
By: DomenicoS
Topics: 59
Added: 06/19/2009 - 01:44 AM

Need to buy new Sphere, need it for outdoor view, so, I think autofokus can only harm whan I get rain drops on glas.

I'm wondering is new AF better than old MP in any other way, less cpu use, better stability with drivers or sharper optic?
Added: 06/19/2009 - 06:17 AM

Definitely the image is sharper - I suppose because the optics are higher quality. Stability is fine here (I have 3 SphereAF running 24/7). Pan/Tilt is the same as on the MP. Also, with AF I don't have any weird problems with some framerate + resolution combinations creating lines in the video (I have seen the problem with lines on the MP like you described in another post).

The only potential problem I know of with the AF is that you must have XP or Vista. Might work on 2003 server - not sure. But no support for Win2K, and I doubt it works with "Seven" either (have not tried).

Oh... just turn off AutoFocus on the Device Driver Settings. It does not work right anyway unless you are using Face Tracking feature. All my AFs are set to Auto Focus OFF and the Focus slider is set to 0 (infinity).
Added: 06/19/2009 - 02:22 PM

Great answer!

XP, hope to assemble it soon...
Added: 07/05/2009 - 10:19 PM

Yes, Sphere AF is defiantly sharper, and overall better image quality!

Old Sphere MP had "lines" problem also on other much stronger PC when framerate is set below 25 fps.
Added: 08/13/2011 - 02:14 PM

In my country is not posiblle to buy Sphere any more... Does anybody know is some new model planed, or Logitech will stop producing it?

( I know I shoudl ask on Logi forum...)
Added: 08/16/2011 - 08:03 AM

I am not sure what is going on. On the Logitech USA site the American version of the Sphere (OrbitAF) is still available. Also it is still for sale in stores such as Best Buy and Frys Electronics. I can't find any indication that it is a "close out" or "clearance" item (ie. going away once existing stock is sold out).

However, when I look at Logitech UK and Logitech Australia sites the Sphere is NOT available. It has disappeared completely.

If you need one I suggest ordering online - soon - from a source in USA. Yes, I realize this is an expensive way to do it but it seems to be the only way to get one now.
Added: 05/15/2013 - 10:30 PM

I fave problem with focusing on ethernal, I can manually focus from near to "100" meters away, but than focusing "stops" than, and landscape in distance is never sharp as it wos once...

Does enybody have this problem and have some solution how to solve it? Can this be driver problem, shoudll I try to open it and force push or pull lens, or it is probablly destroyed from overexposure to sun..?
Added: 05/16/2013 - 10:44 AM

I have never had good focus behaviour from any Orbit/Sphere-AF, ever. The problems are in the drivers - AbelCam does not control focus. My solution? I always turn off Auto Focus in the driver and set the slider to infinity (0). In AbelCam, press Config button for camera, then press Source button to access driver settings. If you then Save the config, AbelCam will set the camera to manual focus every time you start up.