Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Windows Media Publishing Point
By: SergeyKi
Topics: 0
Added: 04/26/2008 - 11:03 PM

Hi,
Could you please provide some info how to setup Video Server Options. There is the option Mode: "BroadCast Push". I didn't find any descriptions for it in the AbelCam Help. What does this option do, what is the Publishing Point (http://...) and how to set up it properly?
Thank you,
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 04/27/2008 - 11:32 AM

The Publishing Point is a term used with the Windows Media Server.

See Windows Media Server on WikiPedia
Added: 04/29/2008 - 07:44 PM

From sse:
The Publishing Point is a term used with the Windows Media Server.
See Windows Media Server on WikiPedia

Thank you,
I understand that a Publishing Point should be set up on the server side to be used. Can it be the server on the Lunix platform or it should be based on Windows?
I try to set it up, but the Video Server check box becomes unavaliable and the url isn't saved in the Video Server url box. Please, provide with the guide how it can be set up. I have a free lisence, should I buy a one to activate this option?
Regards,
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 04/30/2008 - 06:12 AM

If you have selected to use a Publishing Point, the Video Server will not enable unless it can contact the remote Publishing Point server and confirm it is running.

I have never run a publishing point myself but I would think it would have to be done on a Windows server simply because Microsoft usually doesn't offer their stuff in Linux versions. Of course you could try Linux + WINE.

If you are only ever going to have a few people watching your video stream you do not need to bother with a publishing point at all. The reason for a publishing point is to serve video to hundreds of viewers at once. You run a single stream from your computer to the publishing point. Then the publishing point (which we assume is located somewhere with lots of bandwidth) "re-broadcasts" your stream to many viewers.
Added: 04/30/2008 - 07:00 PM

From MelvinG:
The reason for a publishing point is to serve video to hundreds of viewers at once. You run a single stream from your computer to the publishing point. Then the publishing point (which we assume is located somewhere with lots of bandwidth) "re-broadcasts" your stream to many viewers.

Thank you Melvin!
Yes, this is the reason why I am trying to work with it. We are going to have an event and broadcast it over the Internet. Our "small" connection can successfully handle nor more than two streams at the same time. So you could imagine how good it is going to be... Our site is Lunix based. Can we use ffmpeg or VLC to handle the stream. What could be configurations for them?
Thank you in advance, Regards.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 04/30/2008 - 07:10 PM

Hello Sergey,

I don't think streaming WMV is supported by either ffmpeg or VLC.

You may check on the Windows Media for Pros page if you find a provider in your area offering affordable publishing services.

Added: 04/30/2008 - 08:44 PM

Hello Stefan,
Yes, I've already tried VLC with AbelCam. It accepts mss stream as input and can also broadcast it... but in the wierd way. I didn't figure out a reason why it changes a bandwidth of the stream eg. from 100kbps to 1400kbps. So that there are some constant interruptions and bufferings occure...