Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

LxxxSphere Name Change
By: Abel
Topics: 153
Added: 02/19/2007 - 12:46 PM

I have received a letter from an lawyer requesting me to change the name of both the website and the software LogiSphere to something else by 15th of this month.

The key part of their letter goes as follows:

By the name LogiSphere leaned against the product of our client "Logitech Sphere" as well as by the reference to the products of our client in your advertisement they arouse the impression there exists a business connection between our client and their undertake and the products concerned of both parties. This impression does not correspond to the truth. They try on unfair wise to participate on the good reputation which our client acquired itself by her products and the designation logitech sphere.

Looks like I have to use a different name for the software...

As I have missed their dead line already, I might be in trouble...

For a while already I have also used MultiCamXP in connection with LogiSphere - what do you think if I just change to that name?

Or should I use SeizSphere?

Other suggestions?
By: JohnH
Topics: 0
Added: 02/20/2007 - 08:09 AM

Furthermore..... Frin

The iPod reasoning is a good one - hundreds of non-Apple affiliated companies have made iGadget or iPodThingy. These releases only enhance the iPod experience.

I bought my Logitech Orbit (which has since deceased) only because I saw Logisphere supported it. I agree with the position that Logitech should in fact support the development of your software. The logitech software caused nothing but problems for me. It was not until I started to use Logisphere that my set-up ran smoothly. I too will write to Logitech.

Is there any chance we can have the contact info for the individual with whom you are corresponding? Support emails from users would have much more impact if they were read by someone at Logitech who is involved in the dispute.

J
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 02/20/2007 - 08:24 AM

So far I don't even know if that law firm was targetting any LOGI* or LogiSphere in particular.

Until I know for sure from a reliable Logitech source that they are not going to accept LogiSphere any longer, I will not publish any contact information nor go public to non LogiSphere users...
By: AlexB
Added: 02/20/2007 - 10:21 AM

I really like your software and you don't NEED the "Logi-thing" in your name!
I prefer the name MotionCam from RaW which describes the function of your software quite better than LogiSphere.

Good luck!
By: JeanG
Topics: 18
Added: 02/20/2007 - 11:05 AM

Hi,

I think you have to see a lawyer before everything.
And see about the trademark, all around the world... The use of "Logi" is prohibited everywhere, in any domain of activity and all countries ? hmmmm.... strange. I just type LOGI on the net, and i find : Logilabo, logi , logidirect, logimethode, etc etc... i don't think that logitech will attack all these companies ?
Well. Anyway, if you're obliged to stop your name, you will have to sell your Logisphere.org domain name a true fortune !!!

About the choice of your "eventual" futur name, i like MulticamLS,

Well... and what about Camseyes !!! or Camseiz !!!

Have a good day.

Jean-Charles from Paris.
By: PhilG
Added: 02/20/2007 - 12:33 PM

I think unfortunately the best way forward is a name change. As much as I detest giving in to the BIG BOYS in my opinion it will save a possible lengthy and expensive legal battle. MultiCamLS sounds good to me also.

By: JonasB
Added: 02/20/2007 - 01:19 PM

I think "SeizSphere or MulticamLS" as a new name of your software is ok. but i hope that they ("Logitech Sphere")can share the inconvenients of this procedure with you.
Good luck!
By: CharlesG
Added: 02/20/2007 - 03:30 PM

I'd doubt they could do anyhting even it it were legit.

In changing to MultiCamxx make sure Multi isn't registered ;-(

Like Jean-Charles, I think there are just too many Logi_things out there. Seems
like they've got some type of junior clerk on training hunting for his fist catch.

What's preventing you from registering the LogiSphere name as we speak ?

Right now www.logi.com point to Logitech's World presence page. But www.logi.org is a personnal page, logi.net is crap, logi.tv in asina (and has an image of an old style camera near the middle-right. Ooooh now "they" are in trouble !), logi.it is interesting as it is the web page of Lorenzo, Marie and Claudia Logi... so Logi is there last name !!!), logi.fr and .us are parking spaces, etc. Look them up on www.domainsearch.com there are a lot out there.

BTW there are around 25 sites with the name "logisphere" ?!?!

You could also set a Backorder on the logi.com domain name ... never know ;-)

I might not be helping ... it must be frustration ;-(

We're being you buddy. And as far as a new name would go, just add in a "Mask" feature and I'd call it "Perfect" ;-)
By: DerekD
Topics: 1
Added: 02/20/2007 - 05:19 PM

I almost didn't consider purchasing this software because the name implied that it was primarily used for Logitech cameras (and I was looking for a multi-camera webserver for a set of IP cameras). I think MultiCam or MultiCamSSE or MultiCamServer works great, and avoids spending money on quixotic legal battles. That said, two weeks is an unreasonably short time to change over your website, etc...take your time.
By: ShawnSt
Added: 02/20/2007 - 09:22 PM

I like the MotionCam name. I also don't think you need to tie the software to a logitech camera as it supports more than that brand alone. I'm a new user so I don't have any history to base my opinion on.

Thanks,

Shawn
By: TimSc
Topics: 4
Added: 02/20/2007 - 11:48 PM

I would ask:
Was Logitech Sphere introduced before or after LogiSphere?
Are they also in touch with LogiSpring.com - if so, you might jointly defend the name.

If you have to: MotionCamSSE [Pro] gets my vote.