Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

LxxxSphere Name Change
By: Abel
Topics: 153
Added: 02/19/2007 - 12:46 PM

I have received a letter from an lawyer requesting me to change the name of both the website and the software LogiSphere to something else by 15th of this month.

The key part of their letter goes as follows:

By the name LogiSphere leaned against the product of our client "Logitech Sphere" as well as by the reference to the products of our client in your advertisement they arouse the impression there exists a business connection between our client and their undertake and the products concerned of both parties. This impression does not correspond to the truth. They try on unfair wise to participate on the good reputation which our client acquired itself by her products and the designation logitech sphere.

Looks like I have to use a different name for the software...

As I have missed their dead line already, I might be in trouble...

For a while already I have also used MultiCamXP in connection with LogiSphere - what do you think if I just change to that name?

Or should I use SeizSphere?

Other suggestions?
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 02/19/2007 - 07:28 PM

Thank you all for the more or less encouraging feedback.

What do you think about MultiCamSSE?

where SSE stands for Seiz System Engineering, but it could also be Simple & Smart Engineering Smile!

By: IanK
Topics: 2
Added: 02/19/2007 - 07:35 PM

The unfortunate fact is that the legal system (in most parts of the world anyway) tends to favour whoever has the most money to throw at it. In a legal battle the court would find in favour of Logitech, at great expense. Maybe not in the first instance, but if Logitech are willing to keep paying, then the legal system will keep serving them. If they are unsuccessful the first time there are a million ways they can simply re-instate the case (it's just a matter of finding a good reason to contest you again - and lawyers have a way with words that can make the silliest reasons seem important).
To sum it up, I say do not fight them as you WILL lose. However, one week is not reasonable time to change the name of established software, and you should stand ground for more time to change the name. I would suggest asking for 6 months to make the change complete, showing reasonable progress along the way. The first letter will almost certainly be designed to use bully-tactics and set to a minimum time-span in order to cause fear and panic. I believe that they will accept 6 months, but thought they should be more forceful in the first instance.
Hopefully this is helpful to you. As for a new name - sorry but I'm not very creative and can't think of anything good at the moment. I'm sure someone will come up with a great new name that better sums up a multi-cam server software (which is no longer restricted to use with just Logitech hardware after all).
By: StartL
Added: 02/19/2007 - 07:36 PM

I think you will have problems with the case. Even though they have not registered LogiSphere exactly, there is a strong bias towards avoiding marketplace confusion in the courts. I think Logitech has a good case that there is confusion. The really sad thing is that I've found much better support for Logitech products from this site that I have from Logitech itself. You have to be completely practical here. Defending a name will be expensive and a small company would generally not want to pay for that kind of lawyer fun unless that company absolutley needed to win the case. Although I can't give you legal advice, I have a good deal of experience in TM law in the U.S. Fighting a legal battle unless you have the resources ($$) and will to continue it to the end is not your best option.

My suggestion, take advantage of your strengths. It is not a clear cut case for them either, and you have created some goodwill in the name "LogiSphere". Offer to sell the name "LogiSphere" to them for a price calculated to 1) pay you for the goodwill you have created in that name and 2) all costs of renaming your products (including trademark searching and registration, marketing budget for the new name, etc.). You will not retire off this settlement, but you can expect to come out better than even. The litigation can cost them (and you) $100K US pretty quickly. Most companies with any sense would rather pay you than pay their lawyers.
By: EmyrM
Topics: 1
Added: 02/19/2007 - 07:52 PM

This is terrible! Your software has done a LOT to enhance the Logitech devices - they should be grateful not vindictive.

I for one will write to logitech via their website and I would urge other users of logisphere to do the same

I would love to see you fight - but understand if you do not

Good luck!

Em
By: ChristophK
Added: 02/19/2007 - 08:13 PM

I am surprised that Logitech takes this very unfair approach Angry I am sure, that many Sphere cam where sold just because your Software was around!

Just to say: they are not able to provide an appropriate Software with their products to get the full advantage out of it! LogiSphere is a good product!
I suggest to change the name of LogiSphere to something else like SwissCam, MoveThatCam, Cam2Move or SeizCam, as a fight against Goliath will take a lot of time as well as financial resources..
Furthermore I suggest to concentrate the development to other products than Logitech as you already did, just to show if they are not interested, they loose money too.
By: RichardM
Topics: 4
Added: 02/19/2007 - 11:19 PM

Natural consideration is to tell them to go away BUT the longer any one of us can stay out of the courts and the hands of 'legal experts'is advisable.
Negotiations would appear logical (can I use that word as it starts with LOGI).
If renaming the programme I would suggest something like 'HomeSecurCam'. More of us non-tech guys are going to use the programme for home security needs. Obviously a detailed search on names will need to be carried out and the registering world wide of your new name to avoid a repeat of the present.
Good Luck
Richard
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 02/20/2007 - 12:04 AM

Thank you all for the prompt reactions and encouraging words.
Not only have many of the LogiSphere Pro users written in the forum, I also received numerous emails.

I have chosen to write to the General Manager Switzerland at Logitech Europe SA whom I contacted last year already.
I sent him a copy of the snail mail I received from the law firm and asked him if and why the name LogiSphere is a problem for them.

I also asked him to give me a contact at Logitech, so I wont have to deal with a lawyer in Munich, but a person of Logitech to talk to.
I enclosed all the correspondence I had with him and his employee back till July 2005.

I CCed this email to his employee as well as to the lawyer.
Now I will go home, have a good sleep and see what tomorrow brings Wink
By: RonH
Topics: 6
Added: 02/20/2007 - 01:32 AM

I would have to agree with Melvin, unless you have very deep pockets & care to shorten your life with these ills. Changing names seems like the best approach. It makes me very upset to see them treat folks that support and increase the value of their products in such a manner. I am the purchasing agent and we spend nearly $10k annually on their products company wide. I will definitely look for competing products. I wish you the best and continued support in your decison.

Best
Ron
By: ToddS
Topics: 8
Added: 02/20/2007 - 02:47 AM

Good luck with whatever you decide.

My opinion of Logitech was already not all that great. This doesn't help. And perhaps not because of the obvious.
It is disappointing to see Logitech hassle an entity which, from my perspective, is helping them.
Like a previous poster, I bought my Orbit MP because Logisphere existed. I had already purchased the first version a few years ago and took it back because there was no way to remotely control it.

Honestly, I think LogiSphere is a poor name. This legal issue is a great excuse to change it and to make it more descriptive and catchy. Your idea, MultiCamSSE is pretty good. I still think a better one is out there, but sorry, I am not very clever and have nothing better Huh?
By: JohnH
Topics: 0
Added: 02/20/2007 - 08:00 AM

Sounds like a sham to me. There was a kid in Canada whose name was Mike Rowe, and he bought mikerowesoft.com. Microsoft got pissed and threatened to sue and such, but the kid (only 16 I think) stood by it. In the end, and after the kid made a press stink, Microsoft bought him off with a lifetime subscription to MSDN and some other perks worth a few thousand bucks. The key part of the story occured in the start though, whith microsoft sending the kid a ton of legal-ese worded documents (some of hundreds of pages in length. In the end, none of that ended up being relevant - it was all just meant as a scare tactic!

If this Logitech business really IS real, stand by the name and contact a fairly big city-wide newspaper (email should work). To be honest, I haven't used Logisphere in a while - but when I did use it, it kicked ass (and I wont forget about it Cheesy).

Stand by the name, my friend. If they are affraid someone will think you are affiliated, put a disclaimer claiming otherwise on the site an in the About box of the software. From a legal point of view: problem solved. Also, if Logitech is so concerned about Logisphere, get them to call you from a Law firm in YOUR country.

J