Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Email on Motion Detect
By: ChrisD
Topics: 7
Added: 12/26/2006 - 06:34 PM

Hi. The email gegerated by Logisphere seems to use port 25. My mail is AOL, and uses port 587. When I use 'TEST' on the Email set up screen, I get the Logisphere message Sending Email Failed, see server message'. And the server message says ' send email error : Service not available, closing transmission channel. The server response was: Cannot connect to SMTP server 205.188.159.185 (205.188.159.185:25), connect error 10060.

How can I get Logisphere Email generated by Motion Detect to connect using port 587?
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 12/26/2006 - 07:29 PM

this looks like a feature request to me Wink
Port 25 is standard - if you figure out the public smtp server for AOL, you should still be able to send an email.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 12/26/2006 - 10:27 PM

Suggestion #1 - Use Port 25 on AOL's mail exchanger (mailin-01.mx.aol.com) instead of trying to use their broken SMTP. Be sure to leave the Username and Password fields in LogiSphere blank - a mail exchanger will not undertand authentication attempts.

Suggestion #2 - Cancel your AOL account and get service from a provider that complies with the RFCs and other international standards of mail relaying (that'd be any provider other than AOL).
By: Anonymous User
Added: 12/28/2006 - 04:54 PM

Aol no longer use port 25 as their Mail access, they use port 587, this is a Spam avoidance strategy.

I put <smtp.aol.com> as my mail access on the Motion Detect Email page, but Logisphere defaults to using Port 25, and Aol reject this. I tried <smtp.aol.com:587> which worked for another Motion Detect software, but that was rejected - I think by Logisphere.

I looked in the Configuration files that came with Logisphere, but there is no parameter that describes Port No. for Email on Motion Detect.

Take your point about Aol's non-standard way of doing things, for various historical reasons, don't want to change it. Maybe Hotmail might work?

Added: 12/28/2006 - 04:57 PM

Sorry, that Anonymous User mail was from me.

Added: 12/29/2006 - 01:34 AM

Hi Chris,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it is you're trying to do, or making a false assumption. If, as I assumed, you are trying to make LogiSphere send email TO an aol.com email address, then the "mailin-01.mx.aol.com" I mentioned above will work - on Port 25 - I promise! Smile BUT... if you are trying to use an AOL server to make LogiSphere send email to a non-AOL email address, well, that's another thing entirely.

The "mailin-*" machines at AOL definitely have to use Port 25, because these are the machines that receive incoming mail from the rest of the Internet - and the rest of the Internet is looking for Port 25. Like all mail exchangers, the "mailin-*" machines are running an SMTP daemon on 25 that is configured to permit "relaying" to *@aol.com but deny relaying to all other domains.

See for yourself by telnetting into mailin-01.mx.aol.com:25. An SMTP daemon will answer.
Added: 12/30/2006 - 09:44 AM

Hi Melvin. Sorry, I seem to be using up a lot of your time here...

I'm trying to send an email from Logisphere from my AOL address, to my AOL address. (For test purposes, and for picking up at my workplace)
I did try the 'mailin-01.mx.aol.com' as 'Mail Server' on the Mail on Movement setup box, and got this message:
<08:27:35 send email error : Transaction failed. The server response was: 5.7.1 (IPT:OA) Use port 587 to send mail from your AOL screen name. http://postmaster.aol.com/errors/554iptoa.html>

I got the same message when I put 'smtp.aol.com. in the Mail Server Box on the setup box.

I also (as you suggested) left out the Authentication user and password, same message.

I get exactly the same messages when I attempted to send the test message to my workplace (not AOL) address, whichever Mail Server version I used, with or without Authentication. Sometimes I got he error message '08:35:16 send email error : Failure sending mail.'

Thanks for your help!

Added: 12/30/2006 - 11:33 AM

No problem - glad to assist. No way am I going to give up easily when the problem has to do with beating an AOL anomoly! Frin

You will laugh at how convoluted this is... but here is a solution that will definitely work:

1) Get a free GMail account at gmail.com They're going to ask for your mobile phone number. They have had mine for a while now and I've had no problems with them SMS spamming me or anything.

2) Once you have your GMail account, go into the GMail settings and set up Forwarding of All Mail to your AOL email address.

3) Enter your new GMail address into the "Email Address to send picture to" field in LogiSphere.

4) Enter gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com in the "Mail Server" field. (notice that's an "ell", not a "one" before ".google.com" - I had a bit of trouble with that at first Angry)

5) Do NOT enter anything into the Authentication fields.

6) Hit the Test button. A test email will go to your GMail account, but it will wind up in the Spam folder.

7) Back over in GMail... get the test email out of your Spam folder (and into your Inbox) by using the Not Spam button. Once it's in your Inbox you should add the "sender" (presumably your own AOL address) to your GMail contacts list. This seems to convince GMail that future emails from yourself are not spam.

8) Go back to LogiSphere and Test again. This time the test email should get forwarded to your AOL account, and all future emails generated from LogiSphere should do likewise.

Everything I wrote here, I have just tried myself, except for the actual AOL part. I don't have any AOL accounts so I had GMail forwarding to a Netcom account. Worked fine.

Let me know how this works out for you.
Added: 12/30/2006 - 11:41 AM

Me again. Forgot to mention:

I think I know why I could use AOL's MX machines and you couldn't. I'm on a Comcast connection with a Netcom "From" address. AOL's box knows I'm an "outsider" trying to deliver mail to one of their users. When you try to use it, it probably knows - either by your IP address or "From" address - that you are an "insider". Looks like they have their MX software set up to force their own users to use the SMTP on Port 587 instead of cheating like I had in mind by SMTPing via the MX on Port 25.

Oh well... I know the MX trick works with most ISPs. I was using it here myself when LogiSphere NG was still in Beta and didn't yet have the ability to give authentication to my ISPs actual SMTP box.
Added: 12/30/2006 - 02:16 PM

Hi Melvin. Thanks so much for all this help. I did all that, exactly, but still I get the AOL error message. I can mail from Gmail to AOL, and AOL to Gmail no problem, but when I send anything from Logisphere it erors. I think the problem is that AOL is my Service Supplier, and going to Google or whoever, AOL still handle the traffic - and therefore trap anything that doesn't come from port 587. I guess that unless the Logisphere port can be changed from the default 25 to 587, this isn't going anywhere as long as AOL is running the internet connection?

I had a similar problem with Outlook, but I can change the port from the default 25 to 587 with that, all works OK now.

Added: 12/30/2006 - 03:09 PM

Frin Starting to see why I dislike AOL so much??? Frin

As long as you are positive you did Step 4 exactly right then yes, I think we are stuck. Apparently AOL is intercepting all port 25 traffic, even when it is just passing thru AOL rather than destined for AOL. Rather rude of them, I'd say.

Looks like either you need to change ISPs or SSE needs to add the port number to the email config. Please open a new thread on the LogiSphere Issue Tracker to request the feature, and perhaps include a handy link back to our conversation here so he can quickly see you've tried all the workarounds.